Watercraft & Boat Insurance
Watercraft & Boat Insurance Information
Why do you need insurance for your boat or personal watercraft?
You'll enjoy the water even more when you're not worried about the safety of yourself, your passengers or your investment, whether you enjoy boating activities in Lake Allatoona, Lake Lanier, Lake Oconee, Lake Weiss, Lake Hartwell or your local favorite lake in Georgia. While liability insurance is not mandatory for boating in Georgia, it is a good idea to have at least a liability insurance to tide over troubles if you or someone operating your boat or watercraft is involved in an accident. Here are a few things to consider:
- If you're in an accident or your watercraft is stolen, it costs money, often a lot of money, to fix or replace it.
- If you or any passengers are injured in an accident, medical costs can be extremely expensive.
- If your watercraft is responsible for damage or injury to others, you may be sued for much more than you're worth.
- Your watercraft also needs protection when it's on land. Accidents can happen while towing a watercraft.
Things to consider and questions to ask your agent
Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for the discussion:
- How much can you afford to pay if your boat or personal watercraft is in an accident, damaged or stolen?
- Is my boat or watercraft covered for use year-round?
- What discounts and programs are available?
- How much medical insurance and liability coverage is enough?
- Do I have coverage if I need to have my boat towed in an emergency?
- What's the process for filing and settling a claim?
- Does the insurance company have a good reputation for customer service? Is it known for paying claims fairly and promptly?
Home and auto insurance policies may provide limited coverage for personal watercraft. Talk to your insurance representative about coverage limits. You may want to consider purchasing a personal watercraft policy to protect yourself and your water vehicle in the event of an accident.
The personal watercraft policy covers:
- bodily injury
- property damage
- guest passenger liability
- medical payments
Liability limits start at $15,000 and can be increased to $300,000.
Typical policies include deductibles of $250 for property damage, $500 for theft and $1,000 for medical payments.
Additional coverage can also be purchased for trailers and other accessories.
You should talk to your insurance representative about the type of coverage that would best suit your needs.
1st Choice insurance works with top-rated insurance carriers to get you the best rate to protect you and your boats or watercrafts, it doesn't matter whether you live in Morrow, Jonesboro, Stockbridge, Fayetteville, Southside, Northside or Georgia mountains.